Listening to ministers, there seems to be a need for practical liturgical tools. We will begin with practical suggestions for modifying communion services from the 1938 Hymns of the Spirit for contemporary use.
The 1938 services were the last ones published from a denominational source for a general Unitarian or Universalist audience; they remain in use in scattered locations. It makes sense to start with these.
This resource for modifying communion services from the 1938 Hymns of the Spirit for contemporary use is under active development, both in scope and content.
- The implied theology of the services, then and now
- The physical setting of the services
- Materials used for the services
- Techniques for leading the services
- Different ways participants can approach the services
- Additional liturgical resources
- Options: for the main Sunday service or as a follow-on service
- Option: a minimal service for home or hospital use